Rules and Regulations for Teachers in 1872
- Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys, and trim wicks.
- Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and scuttle of coal for the day's sessions.
- Make your pens carefully: you may whittle nibs to the individual taste of pupils.
- Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to
- After 10 hours in school, the teachers spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.
- Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.
- Each teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining
years so that he will not become a burden on society.
- Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or get shaved in a barber shop
will give good reason to suspect his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
- The teacher who performs his labors faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of 25 cents
per week in his pay, providing the Board of Education approves.